Peter combines experience in conducting commercial transactions with a knowledge of commercial, securities and tax law. His practice involves him in a wide range of transactions including exempt market offerings, prospectus offerings, share compensation arrangements, share and asset sales, cross-border transactions, corporate reorganizations and secured lending.
Peter understands the practical business decisions facing his clients. Prior to entering the practice of law, he completed undergraduate and graduate degrees in business, specializing in corporate finance and international management. He also worked in the financial services industry for eight years as a customer service representative, investment advisor, income tax officer and trust officer.
In the securities field, Peter is well-versed in dealing with stock exchanges, securities commissions and self-regulatory organizations regarding a wide range of issues including registration of dealers and advisers and continuous disclosure for public companies listed in Canada and the U.S.
Peter is committed to participating in legal education and has delivered lectures to law students on such topics as securities law, and wills and estate administration. Peter has an active interest in veterans' affairs and acts as director and legal advisor for the Juno Beach Centre Association, a Canadian charity which owns and operates a Canadian WWII museum on Juno Beach in Normandy, France.
AREAS OF PRACTICE AND INDUSTRY SPECIALTY
- Business Practices - Corporate, Commercial Transactions, Securities Compliance, Partnership Matters, Shareholder Agreements, Purchase and Sale of Business, Secured Transactions
- Non-Profit and Charitable Organizations - Establishment and Charitable Registration, Governance, Regulatory Compliance
- Tax and Estate Planning - Tax (personal, corporate, GST), Wills, Trusts, Estate Administration, Family Business Planning
- Called to the Bar of Ontario, 2000
- University of Ottawa, LL.B., 1998
- University of Ottawa, MBA, 1995
- Canadian Securities Course, Honours, 1993
- Carleton University, B.Comm., 1993
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- Ontario Bar Association, Business Law and Charity and Not-for-Profit Law Sections
- Canadian Venture Capital Association
PROFESSIONAL AND COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
- Secretary of the Ontario Bar Association Business Law Section
- Board member of the Juno Beach Centre Association